HCA’s beginning, junior high, and high school bands are highly regarded island-wide for their musicianship and performance standards. Instruments include the following: flute, oboe, clarinet, bass clarinet, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, trumpet, French horn, trombone, baritone, tuba, and percussion. The bands are under the direction of Mr. Andrew Dongon.
Levels of Band:
- Beginning band: Brand new band students; mostly 6th grade but open to 7th-12th grade
- High band: Band students with 2-3 years of playing experience; only 7th- 8th grade
- High school band: Band students with 3+ years of playing experience; 9th-12th grade
The string program at HCA, which began in 2004, is Guam’s first multi-level school orchestra program. Groups perform in yearly concerts and compete in island-wide competitions. Private and group lessons are available for violin, viola, cello, and double bass. The strings program is under the direction of Miss Kelly Schlarb, assisted by Miss Caroline Beadless.
Levels of Orchestra:
- Beginning strings: Brand new orchestra students; mostly 4th grade, but open to 4th-6th grade
- Intermediate Orchestra I: Orchestra students with 2-3 years of playing experience
- Intermediate Orchestra II: Audition-based placement; 6th-12th grade
- High School Orchestra: Audition-based placement; 9th-12th grade
- Symphony Orchestra (includes strings, winds, percussion): Audition-based placement; 9th-12th graders from High School Band and High School Orchestra
The HCA choirs enjoy a variety of gospel, cultural, and technical pieces. Each choir member learns proper breathing techniques, note-reading skills, and choral ensemble technique. Choirs perform in school concerts and community events. The elementary honor choir and junior high choir are under the direction of Miss Lisa Flower. The senior high choir is under the direction of Crystal Javaux.
Levels of Choir:
- Elementary honor choir: Audition-based entry; 4th-6th grade students
- Junior High choir: 7th-8th grade students
- Senior high choir: Audition-based placement; 9th-12th grade
HCA’s piano program provides private or group lessons to 2nd-12th grade students. Piano students have the opportunity to perform in music performance classes and recitals. The piano program is under the direction of Miss Lisa Flower. Other piano instructors include Mr. Andrew Dongon and Mr. Kendrick Infante.
Tri-M Music Honor Society is a specialized student-society for the advanced musician. Tri-M members are required to have an A average in all music classes and lessons while also maintaining a B average in all other classes. Tri-M Society Members must be in at least one music group or private lesson throughout the year. Members serve throughout the year by helping in the community, tutoring students, and overseeing major concerts and recitals at HCA. The Tri-M Music Honor Society is under the direction of Mr. Andrew Dongon.