HCA’s beginning, junior high, and high school bands are highly regarded island-wide for their musicianship and performance standards. Instruments include the following: flute, oboe, clarinet, bass clarinet, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, trumpet, French horn, trombone, baritone, tuba, and percussion. The bands are under the direction of Mr. Andrew Dongon.
Levels of Band:
- Beginning band: Brand new band students; mostly 6th grade students but open to any 7th-12th grade students
- Jr. High band: Band students with 2-3 years of playing experience; only 7th- 8th grade
- High school band: Band students with 3+ years of playing experience; 9th-12th grade
- Advanced high school band: Entrance by audition only; 9th-12th grade
HCA’s string program has been developing since 2004. Groups perform in yearly concerts and compete in island-wide competitions. Private lessons are available for violin, viola, cello, and double bass. The strings program is under the direction of Miss Kelly Schlarb.
Levels of Orchestra:
- Beginning strings: Brand new orchestra students; 4th-5th grade
- Intermediate Orchestra I: Orchestra students with 2-3 years of playing experience
- Intermediate Orchestra II: Audition-based placement; 7th-12th grade
- Advanced Orchestra: Audition-based placement; 7th-12th grade
The HCA choirs enjoy a variety of gospel, cultural, and technical pieces. Each choir member learns proper breathing techniques, note-reading skills, and choral ensemble technique. Choirs perform in school concerts and community events. The elementary honor choir and junior high choir are under the direction of Miss Lisa Flower. The senior high choir is under the direction of Dr. Yoh Shirato, and the Select Choir is under the direction of Pastor Kevin Inafuku.
Levels of Choir:
- Elementary honor choir: Audition-based entry; 4th-6th grade students
- Junior High choir: 7th-8th grade students
- Senior high choir: Audition-based placement; 9th-12th grade
- Select Choir: Audition-based placement; 9th-12th grade
Offering private or group lessons dependent on skill level, HCA’s piano program starts interested students as early as second grade. Piano students have the opportunity to perform in two yearly recitals. The piano program is under the direction of Miss Lisa Flower. Other piano instructors include Mr. Andrew Dongon, Mrs. April Middaugh, Miss Alyssa Levy, and Mrs. Betty Ann Lovmo.
HCA’s ukulele choir provides a unique opportunity for the junior high and high school musician. Each student will learn the fundamentals of note reading, chord reading, and various playing techniques of the instrument. Students perform in chapels and concerts in the community.
Tri-M Music Honor Society is a specialized student-society for the advanced musician. Tri-M members are required to have an A average in all music classes and lessons while also maintaining a B average in all other classes. Society members must also be in at least two music groups or private lessons throughout the year. Members serve throughout the year by helping in the community, tutoring students, and overseeing major concerts and recitals at HCA. The Tri-M Music Honor Society is under the direction of Mr. Andrew Dongon.